A great tasting lunchbox snack
Keep your kids' lunchboxes interesting with delicious LCMs®. LCMs® are a great tasting convenient lunchbox snack that kids love and there are lots of varieties to choose from. Kids can enjoy LCMs® as part of a healthy lunchbox for a recess snack.
A healthy lunchbox is important for active children at school. A healthy lunchbox includes foods from each of the 5 food groups; breads and cereals, fruits, vegetables, dairy products and meat or meat alternatives. For example, a multigrain bread sandwich with lean meat, cheese and salad and a piece of fruit.
To keep your child's lunch cool and safe it is a good idea to use a cool insulated lunchbox or include a frozen water bottle.
Water is a great choice for your child's lunch. Water will help keep children hydrated during the day. It can be frozen the night before to keep your child's lunch cool and safe.
A multigrain bread sandwich provides many essential nutrients, including carbohydrate for energy. Healthy sandwich fillings like lean meat, cheese and salad provide protein needed for growing children, calcium for strong bones and teeth and other essential vitamins and minerals.
Fruit is a healthy snack to include in your child's lunchbox and provides carbohydrate, fibre and vitamins and minerals, for example vitamin C.
It is important that the recess snack is small and convenient to eat as children do not have a long break and need some 'play time'. The recess snack should also provide carbohydrate to help give children energy. LCMs® bars provide the goodness of puffed grains of white rice to help give children energy.
Snack Ideas for the lunch box:
- Small handful of rice crackers
- Raw carrot and celery sticks with cheese
- Fresh fruit
- Tinned fruit, e.g. pears and peaches.
- A handful of sultanas and/or other dried fruit
- Lower fat grain based or cereal bars
- Breakfast cereal (dry)
- Cheese with crispbread or crackers
- Fruit/date/pumpkin scone
- Small bag of air popped popcorn
- Fruit loaf with margarine spread
- LCMs® bars
Lunch Ideas for the lunch box:
Try a variety of bread with different fillings
- Bread and rolls:
- Turkish bread
- Lebanese bread
- Pita bread
- High fibre white bread
- Different fillings:
- Homous, tabouli and lean ham
- Tuna or salmon with lettuce
- Homemade rissoles with tomato and tomato sauce
- Chicken breast, cucumber, lettuce and avocado
- Lean roast lamb, cheese and grated carrot
- Lean ham, mustard, tomato and lettuce
- Egg and lettuce
- Turkey, cucumber and baby spinach
- Cream cheese, grated carrot and sultanas
- Grated cheese and carrot with shredded lettuce
- Spread, cheese and tomato