Asian Hoisin Apple Cocktail All-Bran Meatball Appetizer
These delicious and nutritious meatballs are made with mushrooms and All-Bran cereal as a source of fibre.
- 250 g button mushrooms, roughly chopped (stems removed)
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original
- 500 g extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp apple butter
- 1 tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and/or green onion
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Using a food processor, pulse the mushrooms until ground meat consistency; transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the cereal to the food processor; process until powder-like consistency. Add to mushroom mixture; mix in turkey, green onions, egg, garlic, ground ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Roll mixture into 24 balls and place on the baking sheet; bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
3. Sauce: Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix together applesauce, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, apple butter, soy sauce, sesame oil and vegetable oil; simmer over low heat until thickened. Add cooked meatballs to saucepan, stirring until
well coated with sauce.
4. Garnish: Sprinkle crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and/or sliced green onion over top.
When cooking with raw meat, ensure that the meat is cooked to correct internal temperature to avoid foodborne illness.